We believe it is imperative that all public policy considerations be directed toward maintaining or enhancing the vitality and viability of Colorado businesses. These businesses are the heart of Colorado’s economy and the foundation of a sound and healthy government.
Business Vitality First creates:
- Revenue for Education
- Revenue for Energy Solutions
NCLA Policy Priorities Include…
WATER RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT
Support regional collaboration to create water resource management strategies, promote efforts to retain water in Northern Colorado, protect the integrity of water law, and support increasing water storage in Northern Colorado including:
- expand Halligan and Seaman Reservoirs to their fullest capacity
- monitor construction progress for the Northern Integrated Supply Project including Glade and Galeton Reservoirs and related infrastructure
- support the permitting and implementation for the Windy Gap Firming Project
Support and protect the agricultural sector of our economy for its many contributions to the region and state.
Protect and support the growth of the traditional energy sector while encouraging the innovative alternative energy sector:
- continue to lobby for changes to Senate Bill 19-181 to support oil and gas industry
- support Weld County having regulatory autonomy
Secure the funding to widen I-25 to three lanes each way between Highway 14 in Fort Collins to Highway 66 north of Longmont by 2025. To that end, in 2020 NCLA supports:
- dedicated transportation funding of $300M in the state’s General Fund
- encourage voter approval of a transportation bonding program
- protect funding already committed to widen I-25
- work to identify new transportation funding sources that are politically viable
- advocate for the state to use the last tranche of funding from Senate Bill 17-267 and any future available funds for completion of the state’s major transportation corridors
REGIONAL ROAD IMPROVEMENTS
Support improvements to secondary roads in the two-county region that improve mobility.
LABOR LAW AND TALENT DEVELOPMENT
Support employers in Northern Colorado with:
- legislation that improves workforce training programs and eliminates barriers to training, educating and certifying workers
- protect the integrity and viability of the workers compensation system
- support the elimination of barriers to employment and eliminate interference to the worker and employer relationship
Support having a high quality, accessible and affordable health care system for employers and employees.
Support the continuation and creation of state economic development tools and incentives.
Ensure that laws and regulations aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions are understood and transparent about the economic and financial costs through comprehensive cost-benefit analyses and measurement standards demonstrating ongoing benefits.
Oppose laws and regulations that prevent utilities from offering competitive electricity rates and reliable service with clean sources in a timeframe that appropriately aligns with the timing of available technologies that assure no dramatic rate increases or unreliability. Further, encourage utilities to factor the environmental and financial costs of the “end of life” cycle of alternative energy source infrastructure.